Sometimes, you need vibrant. No matter how much you enjoy your career, the memos and emails and meetings can turn dull. You need culture and diversity. An opportunity to experience the new and novel.
Enter the Downtown Arts Campus in Fort Wayne’s Cultural District. It’s that place you go when you want to see new faces, when you want to meet new neighbors; when you feel the need to try new foods, listen to music you have never heard before, see a performance you never could have dreamed up. It combats the ordinary. And, the Arts Campus has welcomed a new regional tradition: Taste of the Arts. It’s a celebration of music, food, art, dance and theatre, and it kicks the idea of local flavor up a notch.
At Taste of the Arts, you can join the community-created art exhibition. You can buy photography, paintings, pottery and jewelry from diverse regional artists. You can meet poets, nonprofit leaders and youth theatre companies; see the ballet, take in a gallery opening, hear a world-renowned choir or bite into a local gourmet hot dog. It’s a weekend of family fun that ends with Dessert, the official after-party, for adults: local bands and restaurants serving up music and food and drinks, perfect for relaxing and soaking in the vibrant day and another story Made Here.
Arts United’s robust website includes the Arts & Culture Forecast, a great events calendar that includes eight categories of events and happenings, as well as ArtsTix, a one-stop shop for purchasing tickets to performances by many Arts United member groups.
- The expanding Arts Campus is seeing through a vision 50 years in the making—bringing together theatres, museums, a cinema, studios, galleries and more in a few walkable blocks of downtown Fort Wayne.
- Arts United awards grants—grants that supported over 70 arts organizations in 2011, resulting in 13,400 arts activities. And in 2012 alone, more than 725,000 patrons experienced projects funded by Arts United!
- The Voices of Unity Choir is a regional treasure—world champions—that’s about more than just performance. It inspires young people to live successful and dream big. Like, world champion big.
- The Fort Wayne Ballet, Civic Theatre, Dance Collective, Youtheatre and Philharmonic offer unique programming with opportunities for engagement for patrons and participants at all levels.
- With initiatives like the Decatur Sculpture Walk and IPFW’s innovative Sculpture with Purpose initiative, you’ll find public art throughout our region.